Friday, December 12, 2008

Best Holiday Movies

Let the haggling begin! Here are my picks for the 5 best holiday movies of all time. Notice I am purposely leaving out my brother's favorite movie, A Christmas Story, because it makes me grimace. Send a comment with your top choices, and don't forget to check out all of these at the Library! Looking for more? Check out the TV holiday movie schedule for a list of everything on the tube.
5. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - I placed this one on the list out of guilt, because I know it *should* make the list, but it's not a personal top pick. It's a little too schmaltzy for me. I considered adding The Bishop's Wife, or the modern re-make, Preacher's Wife, but I think this movie gets more TV play, and edged out the others.
4. A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965) - Classic doesn't begin to describe Peanuts and Christmas. Small town America, adults who only talk in Wha wha wha whas, and poor Charlie Brown who gets stuck with the tree which ever after bears his name, the 'Charlie Brown tree.' Bossy Lucy with her help booth, and usually bad advice (but we never want her to stop giving it). And don't forget Snoopy, whose yoga pose on top of the dog house is the ultimate relaxation. This movie makes you appreciate the little things about the holiday.
3. The Polar Express (2004) - I think this is my newest classic. Beautiful, soft animation, tons of action, music, and color, and a delightful storyline make this one to share with the whole family. I receive it as a gift last year (thanks, Mom!), and hope that we can spare a few minutes to watch it this holiday season.
2. White Christmas (1954) - I can't imagine the season without Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. The 'Sisters' song has everyone in stitches, and the Vermont inn, with or without snow, puts everyone in a festive mood. Vera Ellen's dancing makes you want to get up and tap along; I'm not sure how Danny Kaye kept up with her.
1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966) - He's green. He's greedy. He has a sweet dog named Max. I'm not sure there's anyone who will dispute this choice, but if you do, I have three words for you. Cindy Lou Who. It's an indisputable fact that her pouty face could probably impact international diplomacy for the better. And then there's the music and Boris Karloff's narration. Did I mention he's green? And Dr. Seuss! The words twist around you like snow drifts and then ... pow! smack you in the face like a well aimed snowball. Yes, the Grinch tops the list and for good reason. Hope you get a chance to watch this one at least once.

No comments: